Tuesday 15 May 2018

Chrltenham - Pitlochry 2018 prologue

Cheltenham to Pitlochry
My friend Robin suggsted a gentle west coast ride to Pitlochry - yes it is on the map of Scotland about 50 km north of Perth. The annual Etape Caledonia takes place there - a charity ride of about 90 miles up and down (more up than down to my recollection) the lumpy terrain. I did it some years ago - once the frostbite suffered at the startline had settled it was a great ride. So here I go again - a sucker for punishment (Climbs and Punishment as Dostoyevsky  called it had he only had a bike).
My start is gentle - a cross country train journey from B St E via Ely and Birmingham to Celtenham. The bike is in the shoulder bag - my folding Airnimal as I will be train’ing it home from Pitlochry - and British trains aren’t exactly over accommodating when it comes to bikes on trains- ans there might be a few others trying to get away from Pitlochry after the ride (5-10000 participants?) . The Airnimal has road bike feel but can carry luggage (7.5 kg is what I have, cold westher gear incl.)  - but with 520 mm wheels the potholes will look huge!!
An uneventful passage followed by a highly protein nutritional evening meal (with an excellent Rioja)- yes I think we are ready for tomorrow - Houston we can start the count down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment