Thursday 22 June 2017

Day 11 and 12 - we're almost there

Now where was I? Italy! Montalcino!! We had a delicious meal in what we thought was a hole-in-the-wall but was actually rather upmarket. We brought the place down to earth when they placed a bottle of Grappa and a bottle of  Limoncello  on our table - on the house! Phew - we certainly needed coffee and ice cream after that.
Next morning  I met up with the three B St Eds lads (2 Nunns and one Thomas all touring Tuscanny on bikes - lovely region!!)  who by chance were staying in our hotel before I headed off past Siena, via the Chianti wine road - very hilly! ( only coffee, water and ice cream kept me going), lunch in Florence (eat what the natives eat is one of my mottos- I had spicy green Thai chicken) and further north to Pistoia - a rather charming affluent city with lovely cobbled streets filled with restaurants - and us! Although I inadvertently took a 20 km detour I still beat the rush! And please - don't believe I'm fast - I'm just better organized!!
This morning we crossed the Appenines. - no that is not a local tribe that we offended but a range of mountains that someone carelessly has positioned right across our path! It was hairpin loops galore ( no whisky)  - plenty of warm water as even the coolest bottle reached boiling point in minutes). By 1300hrs we had climbed well above 1300 metres when we (Michael and me) treated ourselves to a rather substantial lunch with a view over the valley. 3 courses , water, wine and coffee for 12 Euros!
By then the heat was uncomfortable but we sped/limped on to Modena where we will spend the night.
Tomorrow is 125 miles of flat riding - we hope for a bit of cloud cover but chances are slim. The weather forecast for Como on Saturday is thunder and showers. Well, should I hope or shouldn't I?




No comments:

Post a Comment