Thursday 17 October 2013

The Conversion of MB Paul on the road to JOG

Several weeks prior to our adventure I received a parcel in the post containing the cyclists (the Velomenati) bible: The Rules. Soren predicted that I would soon be sporting razor tan lines and be converted to being a roadie. Having read the bible I prepared for the trip adhering to the Rules. Tyre labels perfectly aligned with valve stems, camelpak left behind with the mountain bike, no cycling tops such as Sky or Rainbow jerseys that I haven't earnt the right to wear, black cycling shorts, and a bike at the start of the trip that made no noise. Soren was a fantastic leader by example and great mentor. Soren was a great travelling companion - thanks Soren I could not have done this on my own.

During this trip I adhered to the rules: cornering with confidence, riding in all weathers and descending like a demon.

The only rule I could not bring myself to obey was "shaving my guns".

For the Velomenati the key rule is rule "V". I believe both Soren and I have lived by this rule riding through significant discomfort and pain and as such should be considered disciples of the "V".

However my conversion did not materialise. I am a Mountain Biker at heart and the call of Broxbourne Woods with all of its unpredictability is where I want to be. I just want to get back to my dirty ways!

PS: If Soren's Blog inspires you, as it should, to attempt LEJOG or JOGLE please be advised that this time next year (2014) you may face extra hurdles such as customs at the Scotish Border, don't forget your passport and Scotish currency whatever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment